Tuesday 9 October 2012

I’ll defend my titles in Rio –Bolt

Usain Bolt says he intends to defend his Olympic 100m and 200m sprint titles at the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

The Jamaican, who retained both titles as well as the 4x100m in London, said he has decided against switching to either the 400m or long jump.


“To do the three sprints, that is the focus. I don’t want to try any different events at Rio,” he said.
“I will just defend my titles to show the world there’s a possibility I can do it again.”

The 26-year-old insisted he has no intention of easing off in his training.
Bolt, who also holds the 100m and 200m world records, said he aimed to run even faster next year, during which the World Championships will be held in Moscow.
He added: “It’s all about hard work. When I was doing great when I was young, people used to say I was fast for my age, but I have put a lot of work into it since I was a senior athlete.

“I continue to work hard, continue staying focused and pushing myself.
“So for me that’s the focus right now – to see how fast I can go and I definitely try to go faster each year.”

Bolt became the first man to retain both Olympic sprint titles when he led home a Jamaica clean sweep in a time of 19.32 seconds in the 200m in London in August, with Yohan Blake in silver and Warren Weir in bronze.

It came after he had seen off Blake’s challenge to win the 100m in 9.63 seconds, just 0.05 seconds slower than his own staggering world record, in what was a new Olympic best.

No comments: