Wednesday 3 October 2012

Fake soldier arrested with police walkie talkies

The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a fake soldier, Samuel Johnson, for impersonation.
According to the authorities of the command, Johnson was arrested on September 17, 2012, in full military uniform with the rank of lance corporal. He claimed to be member of the Nigerian Army attached to Ojo Cantonment, Lagos.


Three police walkie talkies, 10 pairs of military uniforms, four pairs of military boots and six military belts were recovered from him.
The Commissioner of Police for the command, Mr. Umar Manko, said Johnson’s arrest was a proof that some criminals operated in either police or armed forces’ uniforms.

Manko said, “I have always said that most of these crimes are sometimes not committed by genuine officers. Sometimes, you will see somebody in complete uniform that is in action. The suspect has never gone for military training and yet he does operations.

“We found in his possession three police walkie talkies, 10 military uniforms, six berets and boots.”
It was learnt that the suspect claimed to have bought the uniforms from a serving soldier attached to NA Intelligence Barracks.
Johnson, according to the police, had been parading himself as a soldier for four years.

The suspect said although he sold walkie talkies and other security gadgets, he denied ever selling those belonging to the police.
Johnson added that the police walkie talkies in his possession belonged to a policeman who asked him to repair them.

He said he wore military uniform so as to be able to have a good rapport with security agents, whom he claimed were his major clients.

Johnson said, “I’m not a criminal. I am a graduate of Graphic Arts from Adeniran Ogunsanya College of Education, Lagos but I have been unemployed for years. So, I decided to tow this line of business. The first uniform I got was from a soldier. I later went to Vesper and Jankara markets to buy more which I usually sell to people.

“Policemen also give me their walkie talkies to repair. It’s because I didn’t want to be harassed by anyone or draw suspicion to myself that was why I started wearing uniform

Punch

No comments: